Tech in Asia's Nathaniel Fetalvero discusses content marketing strategy, Asia's tech entrepreneur listenership, and covering business failures
April 10, 2020
In this episode, we'll be talking with Nathaniel Fetalvaro of Tech in Asia!
Nat is the host of Startup Snapshot, a podcast by Tech in Asia, the leading publication covering the Asian tech scene. He is the interviewer, host and orchestrator behind the show, brought it together up to 3 seasons. Now launching a new segment called Deep Dive, Nat shares his experience growing a podcast for the tech audience in Asia. I've known him since the Asia Podcast Summit last year so this is more a catch up between the both of us :)
We talked about:
- How Startup Snapshot started as an idea in Tech in Asia
- The different barriers in trying to capture a listenership for tech entrepreneurs (Written vs. Audio)
- The sensitivity of scoops that can undermine both a company and publication's reputation
- Managing the balance between listenership needs, desires, and creating content aligning with Tech in Asia's mission
- A whole variety of things we talked about here, from marketing to guesting, to starting a podcast network...? Enjoy!
- 03:18 The stress behind running Startup Snapshot
- 04:54 Starting with cardboard boxes, and underestimating the format
- 07:29 Tech in Asia's Unfair Advantage
- 10:59 Why listenership from the website dropped significantly
- 14:02 Tech in Asia's shownotes strategy, and how profiling helps that
- 20:06 Best time to share content, and why we schedule written vs audio differently
- 24:13 Tech in Asia's full-stack content marketing strategy for Startup Snapshot and audience adaptation
- 29:35 "People would want to listen to work things over the weekend" readership vs. follower counts in the weekend
- 32:28 Talking about business failure, the publication-business relationship, and the smaller players
- 38:32 "The honesty came through in all the episodes" on PR agencies and sensitive issues
- 49:45 Covering Asia-specific stories: breaking the language barrier
- 52:49 "We want to create a Tech in Asia network for podcasts" Nat shares future plans for podcasting
- 1:01:53 What is on Nat's podcast playlist?
- 1:10:21 What Nat would like to see more of in the Asian podcasting scene?
Listen to Startup Snapshot on: